For many people, a simple trip to the dentist is wrought with anxiety. There are several causes of dental anxiety, which may be felt differently by each person. Some may find the sights and sounds of the dental office unnerving, while others have a difficult time undergoing dental treatment due to a strong gag reflex, or simply because they find it unpleasant to have the dentist’s hands in their mouth.
There is a tool that can be incorporated into the various areas of dentistry to make it easier to sit through dental visits. Pharmacy compounding is not only effective at reducing the anxiety before dental care, but can also maximize the potential of various dental treatments themselves.
Compounding is an ancient art that has experienced a new birth with the advances that have taken place in medicine over the last century. Modern technology and in-depth research have made it possible for dentists, physicians, and other healthcare providers to team with specialized pharmacists to customize prescriptions to patients’ specific needs. Because there is such diversity among dental patients, pharmacy compounding is ideal for this area of medicine. From the child getting a dental filling to the seventy-year-old treating gum disease, each patient has unique needs that can be accommodated with custom-prepared medication.
Incorporating pharmacy compounding into dental treatment, a dentist can prescribe custom medications for:
- Dental anxiety
- Pain relief
- Dry sockets
- Gum disease
- Cavity prevention with fluoride treatment
- Canker sores
- Ulcers in the mouth
- Plaque removal
- Teeth whitening
Whether from a physician or from a dentist, the available options for various therapies can be limited. It is possible that a patient will not respond well to the standard prescription. Compounding allows maximum efficiency with a given therapy, because the dosage and form are customized to the patient.
A prescription may be compounded in many ways, such as:
- Topical analgesic
- Topical anesthetic
- Lip balm
- Antibacterial rinse that will not stain teeth
- Lollipops or freezer pops to deliver sedative or medication for oral thrush
- Lozenges for the prevention of gagging
- Preparations for dry socket
- Oral rinse to keep bleeding to a minimum during dental treatment, ideal for people taking anticoagulant medication
- “Mucosal bandages” to aid in healing infected or ulcerated mucosa
- Oral rinses or other preparations for the treatment of gum disease
- Oral rinses for the treatment of ulcers
When dentists and compounding pharmacists join forces, the level of care provided is significantly improved. We are happy to work with dentists for the preparation of customized medications.
- Cavity Prevention with Fluoride Treatment in Newmarket Ontario - Prevention of cavities with fluoride treatment in Newmarket, Ontario
- Total Oral Health Care in Newmarket Ontario - Custom compounded fluoride treatment as part of total oral health care in Newmarket, Ontario
- Gum Disease Treatment Medication in Newmarket Ontario - Customized gum disease treatment Medication in Newmarket, Ontario
- Dental Pain Relief Medication in Newmarket Ontario - Dental pain relief medication customized to your needs in our Newmarket, Ontario compounding pharmacy